Dream Referral Guidelines Please read through this information carefully before completing the application form. Having a ‘dream come true’ can mean such a lot to the children, young people and families we help. We hope the following information will help point you in the right direction to make a successful application.
The child or young person (‘dream child’) must meet our selection criteria:
• The dream child/young person must be aged between 2 and 21 inclusive.
• S/he must be living with a serious or life-limiting medical condition.
• S/he must not previously have benefited from a ‘dream’ with Dreams Come True.
• S/he must not previously have had a request fulfilled or have a request in progress with another similar dream/wish granting charity or organisation.
Please Note: Please be aware that we do contact other similar organisations to check whether a request has previously been fulfilled or is in progress elsewhere.
INFORMATION WE NEED
Before final acceptance, Dreams Come True must receive a completed application pack, including:
• A fully completed and signed Dream Application form.
Please note: • For children under 18 years of age and vulnerable adults, the form must be completed and signed by a parent, guardian or primary carer.
• Over 18s may sign the form themselves.
• A recent GP or Consultant’s letter (not older than 6 months) confirming the child/young person’s medical condition and degree of severity (Please note: we cannot accept a discharge summary). •
A recent jpeg photo of the dream child/young person. This enables us to put a face to the name and to make it more personal, especially if it is a fun shot of them bringing out their personality. We would prefer it to be sent to us via an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A completed Media Release form. By allowing us to tell your story, you can really help us to inspire support. The media release form enables you to give us consent to use your story and also to specify how and where it can be used.
1. Although we always try our best to fulfil a dream, unfortunately there are some types of request that we are unable to fulfil:
2. We cannot consider dream requests involving any type of medical treatment, or therapy (including dolphin therapy).
3. We cannot purchase items of fulfil dreams that involve risk to personal safety.
4. We do not make grants for any of the following: - Housing or building work (including decoration). - Log cabin and ‘summer house’ type constructions. - Hot tubs. - Religious pilgrimages. - Garden landscaping. - Motor vehicles
PLEASE ALSO NOTE
1. Please note that we reserve the right to turn down a request, or propose an alternative. If, for whatever reason, it is not possible to fulfil the original dream request, every effort will be made to realise a different dream.
2. Fulfilment of ‘holiday’ type dreams are subject to medical and insurance clearance.
3. We contribute towards the cost of travel (where applicable) for the child plus one adult carer. The child’s dream should always be central to the request.
4. Budget limits apply to all dream requests.
5. Although we do our best to try and fulfil a child’s dream, we do advise you to think carefully before telling the child involved. Of course we respect your judgement in this but would advise waiting until all necessary steps have been taken to ensure the dream can definitely take place in order to avoid any disappointment.
6. You will note in our application form that we ask for either (or both if you like!) a drawing or very short written paragraph from the child/young person describing their dream and why it is important to them. If you are not comfortable with this, we need to hear from the parent or guardian instead describing why this dream was chosen.
This also applies if the child/ young person is unable to communicate their dream themselves.
Dreams Come True Exchange House 33 Station Road Liphook Hampshire GU30 7DW T: 01428 726330 F: 01428 724953 E: email@example.com Freephone: 0800 018 6013 www.dreamscometrue.uk.com
Thank you for taking the time to read these guidelines. Data Protection Policy In returning the Dream Application Form, you agree that Dreams Come True may use any personal information relating to you and your family, including details of medical condition, age and gender in order to process your application.
You are also agreeing that Dreams Come True may store, disclose or transfer the personal information contained in this application form to the employees of Dreams Come True and to any other person and organisation to the extent that is reasonable and necessary to proceed with your application or as otherwise required or permitted by law. The information you provide in the Dream Application Form will be stored in hard copy and electronically. We undertake to comply with the law and with good practice in protecting your information and using it only for the purposes for which it has been provided.
This may involve:
• checking with other dream and wish charities that an applicant has not previously had a dream or wish fulfilled
• approaching or applying to organisations or charitable trusts as potential sources of funding for specific children’s dreams.
• working with organisations and service providers (such as travel agents, celebrity agents etc) in the processing of a dream request
• conducting research Dreams Come True abides by the Data Protection Act 1998. DATA PROTECTION REGISTER - REGISTRATION NUMBER Z493359X