A cup of tea with Wendy – A day in the life of a dream coordinator.

A new week with Wendy

Most of my time is normally spent in the office sitting at my desk working on dreams however this week has been different.  Crazy would be the best way to describe it.

On Monday morning my husband and I were helping a dream family install some of their sensory equipment (mirrors, bubble tube and brackets).  This isn’t something we normally do but the family lived nearby and needed some help so typical of me I volunteered my husband.  He’s a nice man whose DIY skills are pretty good so I knew he wouldn’t mind.  The afternoon was spent visiting a colleague who is having treatment for cancer.  We hadn’t seen each other for a few weeks so it was nice to catch up and I found her in good spirits despite feeling nervous about some upcoming treatment.  There was a lot of laughter which I always think is good medicine.


Tuesday I was back in the office and it was a relatively normal day.  Lots of computer and telephone work.  I managed to get some flights booked.  For those of you who read my previous blog you’ll know I’m working on a dream for George who wants to go on an African Adventure.  Well I’m pleased to say his flights are now booked.  I also booked flights for a family going to Australia in March, Freddie’s dream is to visit the Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane and Australia Zoo.  The other family are going to Florida in February.  Oliver’s dream is to meet the Disney characters.

Wednesday I was out of the office again but this time on leave.  Every autumn a nice young man comes to help me get my garden ready for winter and cuts and prunes the trees and shrubs I can’t manage. (I’m not quite as old as I sound!!)  He also has to correct my mistakes. I’m an over enthusiastic amateur who’s prone to run amuck with the secateurs.  I wanted to be there to tell him what needed doing and keep him stocked up with tea and biscuits.  That’s very important. It rained all day but he didn’t seem to mind and my garden looks wonderful again.  All ready for the winter.

Thursday started well. I’m holding a fundraising dinner for the charity on 8th November, I have one each year, and the local paper had printed a nice article promoting the dinner. I was running a competition to win a pair of tickets. I’d also had a request to purchase some tickets so was very happy when I drove to work. I live about 23 miles south of Liphook and the last 7 miles are on small windy roads, some of which cut through woodland.  About a mile from the office I accidently hit a small deer that was on my side of the road.  I hadn’t wanted to but the road was narrow, there was a car going in the opposite direction adjacent to the deer and a mini that had attached itself to the bumper of my car so it made it made it difficult to swerve or break sharply.  I felt the thud as it happened and felt sick but had to drive on before I could turn round and go back to see how bad the deer was injured.  I found it sitting on the side of the road looking stunned.  Another lady motorist had stopped and she helped me get it into the back of my car.  I took it to the local vet who was wonderful.  There were small cuts to the front and back legs on the deer’s right side and a small graze on the lip but other than that she was fine.  The vet stitched her up and gave her an injection of antibiotics.  He accompanied me back to the spot where the accident had happened and released her into the woods a long way from the road.  We called her Lucky and both she and I are very grateful to Phil (the vet) for coming to our rescue.  I am pleased to say the rest of the day was uneventful.

Today has got off to a good start too.  I logged on to my computer to find 5 email entries for the competition.  It only started yesterday and has another week to run so I’m hopeful I’ll get lots of entries before it closes and it will be more people that know about the charity. 

I have no plans for the weekend other than a nice walk, a potter round the local shops and some household chores but that means nothing in my world.  It could change at any time and often does.

Look forward to speaking to you again next week.  In the meantime I hope you have a good one, whatever you’re doing, and don’t forget to put your clocks back on Saturday night.


Share on:

Date: 17/11/2015

« Back to blogs