Leave a gift in your Will and make a dream come true
Why leave a gift to Dreams Come True?
Leaving a gift in your Will, once you have provided for family and friends, could bring joy to a child and create a lasting memory for them and their family.
Making a Will
Making a Will is quite straightforward and need not be costly. Almost half of adults in the UK have written a Will, It will ensure those that you care about are looked after. A third of people in UK with Wills have included a donation to their favourite charity.
Four good reasons for making a Will:
- If you have people who depend on you, or if you want to leave something to someone outside your immediate family, or your favourite charity a Will is the best way to look after them.
- A donation to charity in your Will can help reduce the amount of Inheritance Tax payable on the value of the property and money you leave behind.
- It can help reduce the amount of Inheritance Tax payable on the value of the property and money you leave behind.
- It makes things easier for your family or friends.
How to make a Will
A Will is a legal document and must comply with legal formalities.
For peace of mind we recommend that you ask a professional solicitor to help write your Will. The cost will vary depending on the complexity of your Will, but if your requirements are simple, you may only need to pay in the region of £60 for a single Will and £100 for a couple.
There are two principal ways in to donate to Dreams Come True in your Will:
- A residuary gift. A residuary gift is a share of what remains in your estate after the legacies, debts and administration expenses have been paid. A residuary gift can be a share of what remains or what remains in total of your estate after legacies, debts and administration expenses have been paid.
- A pecuniary gift. // . A pecuniary gift is a specific sum of money from your estate.
If you need to find a solicitor try the Law Society link 'find a solicitor service'
Add Dreams Come True using a Codicil
If you have already made a Will and you want to include Dreams Come True you can make a simple addition by adding a "Codicil". This is particularly useful for a pecuniary gift.
The original of your Codicil must be kept with your Will. We recommend that you seek legal advice when you make a Codicil so that your intentions are clear and can be carried out.
To help you make a Codicil we have provided a set of standard instructions for you to give to your solicitor. Should you prefer not to seek advice, there is a sample codicil here which outlines a pecuniary gift and a blank codicil form here.
Let us know your intentions
Please complete our downloadable (PDF) pledge form to let us know that you are intending to leave a gift to Dreams Come True in your Will, which will allow us to contact you with news of the charity and dreams we have fulfilled.
We would be more than happy to answer any questions you have or provide you with one of our Legacies guidelines packs, please phone 01428 726330 or email Sue.