Buttery Vanilla and Berry Crunch Bars - Miranda Gore Browne
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Baking time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (makes up to 15 bars):
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g ground almonds
- 125g self-raising flour
- 200g berries (I use frozen mixed berries)
For the shortbread topping
- 80g self-raising flour
- 40g chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 50g light soft brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) and line a 20 x 30-cm tray
- Baking tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Make the shortbread topping. Whizz together the flour, butter and sugar in the food processor or rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Whisk together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in an electric mixer. Gently mix in the ground almonds and flour.
- Scrape into the prepared tin and place in the preheated oven. After 10 minutes, remove the cake from the oven and sprinkle the frozen berries on top.
- Roughly spread the shortbread mixture over the top and return to the oven to bake for a further 15 minutes until the crumble topping is golden and crisp.
- Leave to cool in the tin before cutting into portions. Alternatively, serve while still warm with ice cream for a delicious pudding.